Your Guide to the 2024 Solar Eclipse

On April 8, 2024, North America will experience a total solar eclipse. This rare event occurs when the moon passes between the sun and Earth, completely blocking the sun’s light. Totality, when the moon completely covers the sun, will last for up to 4 minutes, depending on where it’s viewed.

During totality, the sky will darken, and the stars will become visible. The sun’s corona, the outermost layer of the sun’s atmosphere, will become visible. This is a rare and awe-inspiring sight not to be missed!

Solar eclipses happen somewhere on Earth about every 18 months. This will be the most significant celestial event in the U.S. since 2017. However, the path of totality of a solar eclipse typically moves across Earth’s more sparsely populated areas. Not so for the eclipse on April 8, 2024. The path of totality will cross 12 states in the U.S., from Texas to Maine, as well as parts of Canada and Mexico. This makes it an excellent opportunity for many people to have the exciting experience of seeing a total solar eclipse.

Most people won’t have to travel far to see it. According to Time and Date, 70% of the residents in North America will be within a day’s drive of the path of totality. Also, many of the states that the eclipse crosses are popular camping destinations. This makes planning a solar eclipse camping trip a great way to enjoy this rare event.

No special equipment is needed to view a solar eclipse. However, proper safety precautions must be taken when viewing any solar eclipse. Always wear eclipse glasses to protect your eyes. Regular sunglasses are not sufficient. Even if 99% of the sun is covered by the moon, the remaining 1% can still damage your eyes if viewed directly.

The Great American Solar Eclipse of 2024 will be a fantastic sight to behold. Whether you plan a camping trip or watch it from home, make sure to take the proper safety precautions and enjoy the show!

Where to See the Eclipse

Below is a list of places where the solar eclipse will be best seen in the United States.

  • Texas: The path of totality will cross Texas in the cities of Midland, Odessa, and San Angelo.
  • Oklahoma: The path of totality will cross Oklahoma in the cities of Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Lawton.
  • Arkansas: The path of totality will cross Arkansas in the cities of Fort Smith, Little Rock, and Hot Springs.
  • Missouri: The path of totality will cross Missouri in the cities of Joplin, Springfield, and St. Louis.
  • Kentucky: The path of totality will cross Kentucky in the cities of Paducah, Lexington, and Louisville.
  • Indiana: The path of totality will cross Indiana in the cities of Evansville, Indianapolis, and South Bend.
  • Ohio: The path of totality will cross Ohio in the cities of Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland.
  • Pennsylvania: The path of totality will cross Pennsylvania in the cities of Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and Philadelphia.
  • New York: The path of totality will cross New York in the cities of Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse.
  • Vermont: The path of totality will cross Vermont in the cities of Burlington and Rutland.
  • Maine: The path of totality will cross Maine in Portland and Bangor.

Canada Viewing

The path of totality will also cross parts of Canada, including the cities of Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.